Wednesday, March 3, 2010

100th Day of School!!!

February 26, 2010: Our 100th Day of School!!!

Kendyl was thrilled to reach this day (had been counting down for about 20 days!) We had a somewhat 'party' day to celebrate. We did many things with the number 100.

Breakfast: The kids ate a mini sausage link & 2 mini pancakes (looked like the #100).

Math: We counted to 100 by 2's, 5's, and 10's.
We worked on place value and how to read & write 100.
Kendyl made 100 tally marks (in the reg. groups of 5).

Reading: Kendyl cut out (the day before, with my help) 100 words that she can read. She glued them onto a piece of paper. (she can read many more than 100, but for the sake of the 100th day, that's what we did)... I was picking words like, 'me', 'you', 'to', etc.... Kendyl cut out words like, 'school', 'mother', 'homemade', etc. :)

Reading/Gym/Group work: I made a list of 100 different things to do in groups of 10. (ex. jump 10 times, spin 10 times, etc.) Kendyl brought the list to the Tree House day care at Tamarac and led the other kids in this activity.

Music: We sang, "100 days of school" (100 bottle of beer) and counted backwards from 100!!

Art: We made & wore glasses with the number 100 on them.
Kendyl used 100 misc. art supplies (buttons, pompoms, etc.) to decorate a large #100.

Science/math: Kendyl observed 5 bags with 100 items in each bag (each bag a different item). Kendyl made a hypothesis of which bag would be the heaviest, etc. She weighed the bags on a balance scale with polly pockets on the other side! :) Then she made a chart of her results.

It was a fun day!! We are over half-way through the school year and I am so pleased with how well it has gone overall! Looking forward to the weeks ahead!!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Alivia had her 100th day of school 2 weeks ago, so what's up with that?!

    I did not know you were even alive anymore. I guess it's partly my fault for not being on Facebook, but it's partly your fault too for not updating your blog! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmm.... thanks for the 'support' ladies! lol... Maybe I'll block you guys if all you give me is negativity?!! ;)

    Seriously though... Sorry, we are just too busy for blogging most times! I'll update from time to time, but don't expect it all the time :) Thanks for reading this one! I miss you too, Tami!!! :)

    To answer your question about why our 100th day was not 2 weeks ago, like Alivia's is that many weeks we only have 'school' 4 days. Also, I have not counted the days that we went on Field trips (which the schools do)...so, actually I think we are pretty close! :)

    But, I do have to say, that we usually get more LEARNING done in 2 hours than they do in an entire week or more in a public school. I know that Alivia goes to private, so it may be different there. :)

    Kendyl has met all the 'goals' for going into first grade already, and some for second grade... so, really the rest of the year is simply reviewing those skills in fun ways to solidify them (and also adding some). :)

    ReplyDelete