Friday, September 18, 2009

'Little' Joys

Kendyl's 'chicken' that she painted today :)

So...I have read about a gazillion articles and many books about homeschooling joys and benefits. I have also talked to many homeschooling parents that have told me all of the wonderful joys they have experienced.

Well...today was our 9th official homeschooling day, and I am amazed at all the wonderful joys that I've already been able to experience because of it.
Here is a list of SOME of the 'little' joys of educating our kids...

1. Being able to experience/witness Kendyl & Aden's joy and excitement as they experience & learn new things! This is truly incredible!

2. Having the priveledge to be the first person to see Kendyl 'get' something--really 'get' it! To see that proud look of accomplishment on her face, is the biggest reward of all.

3. Being able to tell what Kendyl has truly 'learned', what she struggles with, and what she's interested in, has been probably my favorite thing about educating her!
4. Of course, being able to simply spend time with the kids, playing games, talking with them, laughing with them, etc.

5. Knowing that they can be their 'goofy' selves, without fear of being laughed at, teased, or picked on. In school, I was goofy and just plain 'different'...I found excitement in things that others thought was dull and really got picked on a lot. Kendyl has a tremendous zest for learning and pretty much anything! She laughs loudly and gets so excited! When she sings, she SINGS! I was not happy to see some of the kids in her preschool class, rolling their eyes at her, as she belted out the Christmas songs during their program. There were other instances when kids would look at her as if she wasn't 'cool' because she would laugh loudly when she got excited, etc. I am SO thankful, that she is free to be herself here...to laugh and learn and grow and make mistakes, without the fear of ridicule!!

6. How fun it is, to be able to go off on a 'tangent' because Kendyl is so interested in something. For example: today we were talking about the 7 continents again, and AGAIN, she was just so interested in Antarctica! She loves talking about it and planning 'trips' there! lol!! So, today, instead of moving to the next subject...I let her draw a pic of what she thought she would see in Antarctica and she journaled about it also! Now, in a 'regular' school setting, this would be nearly impossible to do, because of all the other kids and the need to go to the next subject... BUT, Kendyl is LEARNING soooo much more because of this!!

While these are just a few of the many joys we've experienced (and I know there are many more to come), there are also difficulties, of course. How great it is, that we have the flexibility to take a break or even a whole day off, if things are just seeming too difficult that day!! I'm am really gaining love for this by the day! Thank you, Lord, for guiding us down this path and providing all we need for it! I'm looking forward to all the joys you will bring to us in the future and the lessons you will teach us through the hard times! AMEN!


2 comments:

  1. This nearly brought tears to my eyes. I loved reading it and can honestly say that I feel the same way. I LOVE being able to see Kali actually learn what I'm teaching her, which when she was in school I never really got to experience. U just never knew if she was taught something or just picked it up at home. I'm enjoying seeing the fruits of our labor. It's a labor of love and it just excites me. Good work Lizabeth. You're inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww.. you're so hormonal!! jk... :)

    It is for sure, a labor of love! thanks hun... you are doing an amazing job yourself! ...um...you need to update your blog, please! :)

    ReplyDelete