Saturday, September 5, 2009

Stephanie made me do it!

Okay.... so, here goes...

My sister, Stephanie, suggested that I begin a blog to write about our homeschooling experience. I think she just wants to make sure we're actually teaching the kids what the other kids in 'regular school' are learning. That's fine, though... we have nothing to hide! :) (love you, steph!) :)

Reasons why we are choosing homeschooling...

Biggest reason is that David (my husband) works 2nd shift. This would mean that he would see Kendyl for about 10 minutes before she went to school in the morning and she would be sleeping by the time he got home from work. Now, for some families, this may be fine with them... not for us. Kendyl is a Daddy's Girl!! It is almost like he is a drug to her because she goes into serious withdrawals if she doesn't see him for a day or two. This summer, she went to VBS and her and David about lost their minds! They just can't function without their daddy/daughter time! Soooo, homeschooling would give her more time with daddy! :)

Another reason is simply, we want her to have an Christian education, grounded in the Word of God. Since we are not rich, Christian school is not really an option for us (although I don't know that I would want her going to the Fremont Christian School anyway--but that's a story for another day!). If we homeschool, I can use curriculum that keeps Christ at the center.

Another reason is that we want our children to develop social skills that allow them to interact with and respect adults properly. This is something that is not taught in the school system anymore! Just walk into any classroom these days and you will find snotty, back-talking, disrespectful kids that do not know how to act properly in a social setting. This has become the norm and not the exception to the rule. It is simply too difficult for one teacher to monitor all conversations and behavior of children in a class of 26-30 students!! Ideally, if there were about 4 to 6 kids per adult teacher, this would be a great setting for learning proper social interaction. The teacher would be able to intervene when children were talking inappropriately, etc. (I will post a list of great books that are written solely on this issue of socialization and how if done correctly, is achieved much more efficiently in a home-setting).

Yet another reason is that Kendyl is already reading at a mid-first grade level and has not even started kindergarten yet! How bored would she be while the kids were learning what sound the 'a' makes, since she can read a gazillion words with the long and short 'a' sounds?!

There are many other reasons, that I may 'blog' about at a later date... but I think that's enough for now. :)

For those of you that are worried we are scarring our children for life and trying to lock them away from the world... rest assured, we are smarter than that! We are not trying to shelter our children from the world... just give them the tools they need to deal with it... I don't plan on homeschooling all the way through high school (unless God calls us to that!)... we are taking this one year at a time and seeing how it goes. We are not ignorant enough to continue it, if our kids are not learning or if they begin shying away from people (losing their social skills). You may like to hear that we are joining a Newaygo County Christian Home school support & activity group. It is a group of home school families from all walks in life, that organize sports teams/tournaments, spelling & other educational b's, field trips, music/instrument lessons, group classes and much more. We will have our 'kick-off' picnic on September 12. Kendyl is so excited to meet some of the other kids there and get to do fun things with them!

I do want to say something that may shock you (and may not)... I used to be COMPLETELY against homeschooling! Seriously... like some have said to me... most of the home schooled kids I met were WEIRD and couldn't function properly in society... I know the fears you may have about this and believe me, I understand! It took me YEARS of researching and praying about it to see that homeschooling is not only 'okay', it can be wonderful and the BEST way to educate a child! Throughout my 'research', I have met many families that do a tremendous job educating their children at home...and guess what? Their kids are 'normal'...no wait, better than normal...they are TERRIFIC, completely able to interact with 'normal' people and do well in life! I know, I was shocked too! :) So, seriously, if you have concerns about it, please research it...talk to LOTS of different home schooled kids and families...learn about it before you totally write us off as whack jobs, please! :)

I will try to 'blog' about our daily activities, lessons, etc. as the year goes by. Feel free to ask any questions! And PLEASE, do a little research into home school... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! :)

thanks, Steph! I think I will actually like this! :)

6 comments:

  1. Great work on your first blog post and taking on the world of homeschooling, both accomplishments are very admirable. I'll be interested to follow your blog and see how great your kiddos are doing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on the homeschooling. We will follow along with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, mom... you can always 'drop in' at our school... we may have security check for drugs and weapons though! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Steph wins again!!! :)

    Can we have a "Get to Learn Steph day"? Kendyl can learn how to do her hair like mine, put on make-up, dress for her body type...etc... I will be the guest presenter. SS LEARNING SHIP

    Totally kidding. I am interested to see how everything goes. Keep blogging...and actually you can thank Hillary. She got me blogging...

    ReplyDelete
  5. steph... of course! we'll have to set up a day for you to be our 'guest speaker'! :) start planning your 'lessons' and we'll get a day set up!! :)

    ReplyDelete